The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is pleased to announce the 2012 Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program. This scholarship offers Lebanese high school students between 14 and 16 years old the opportunity to spend one academic year in the United States. The selected students live with American host families, attend U.S. high school, and engage in activities to learn about American society and values, acquire leadership skills, and help educate Americans about Lebanese culture. This scholarship covers roundtrip airfare, tuition, health insurance, accommodation, and a monthly stipend to cover incidental expenses.
Since the program began in 2003, more than 249 Lebanese youth have spent an academic year in the homes of American families, studying in high schools throughout the United States.
To be eligible to participate in the YES program, students must:
- Be currently enrolled in the Brevet or 1st secondary class of the Lebanese baccalaureate program or in the 9th or 10th grade of the high school program
- Born between September 1, 1995 and August 1, 1997
- Demonstrate maturity, good character, scholastic aptitude, flexibility and adaptability
- Have a minimum grade of “B” or 12/20 in all subjects for the past three years
- Have strong English language ability: Minimum “B” average or 12/20 in English for the past three years
- Agree to attend classes in the U.S. as full-time students and maintain at least a “C” average in a U.S. high school
- Demonstrate willingness to participate in the American host family’s daily life
- Not have previously attended high school for a semester or academic year in the United States
To apply for this program, interested candidates must complete an online application
Complete program and application information is available at:
Candidates may access the on-line application on AMIDEAST website:
Application deadline: December 2, 2011