While the majority of health officials confirm that sun tanning in any form is not good for your skin, the craze for acquiring that enviable bronzed body is irresistible to all people with access to the sun and sand. If tan’s the way to go for you, do it safely and prudently so you get the benefits of sun tanning without the side effects. Read on for options to choose from below sun tanning tips.
Sun Tanning Tips:
- If beginning your sun tanning routine during peak summer, begin with only 10 or 15 minutes of exposure to the sun to acclimatize your skin to the heat and gradually increase the time as your body becomes more tanned.
- Remember to choose the right sunscreen with an SPF factor of under 15, but no less than 8 so that you get the minimum necessary protection while taking care not to de-limit your bodily benefits from being sunny side up!
- Take care to ensure that your skin is moisturized with after-sun lotion; opting for a lotion that contains aloe will help make your tan last and also cool the skin since aloe is rich in skin soothing properties.
- If you are on acne medication, do consult your health care provider before venturing out for a sun tanning session as certain types can lower your resistance to sun.
- Those with a fair complexion are more prone to sunburn than people with darker complexions and therefore must avoid direct sun exposure during peak hours of 10:00 to 2:00, when its rays are the most harmful and can penetrate the light skin most.
- Remember to wear sunglasses while tanning in the sun or in a tanning bed as your eyes are precious and can be easily damaged by the scorching rays of noonday sun.
- The cream or spray-on tanning lotion is the best variety for optimal sun tanning. However, I advice that one must always test the product on a small area of skin to check for any signs of adverse reactions.
- Prepare your skin before applying sun-tanning lotion. This can be done by scrubbing away dead skin with a loofah pad before rubbing the lotion on thoroughly. Sun tanning lotion must be applied in slow, deliberate movements to the back of your knees, elbows, ankles and tan lines.
- Wipe away extra lotion so you do not become a victim of ‘creased tan’ and get the bronzed look evenly.
- Find out about the option of using tanning pills, which contain photoprotectors that protect from sunburns.
BeirutNightLife is not responsible for the comments that users post below.