To all you ladies out there who ever wondered why a certain relationship didn’t work out for you, I am sure you can relate to at least 3 of the following – sadly enough, I can relate to at least 5!
To all you men out there, I am pretty sure you’ll enjoy reading this more than the ladies, but it’s your turn next week. Read on:
1. You’re a part of your man’s life, you’re not his universe. He has friends and family that he’s known before you were born; so if you cannot accept it, go get the extra attention from your parents.
2. So what if he’s the guy? It wouldn’t hurt you to invite him to dinner every once in a while and offer to pay or split the bill a few times. Being a selfish princess is not sexy anymore.
3. If you’re a lady, he’ll be a gentleman – it is the simple truth. I do not see anything healthy about how couples here play dirty mind games on each other. It is tiring and definitely cannot last forever.
4. You are NOT his mother. If he wants to drive like a maniac, drink beer till he vomits, or stay up all night playing poker, it is not your responsibility to scold him about it. You can either accept him for the immature infant that he is, or break up with him and find yourself a real man.
5. Make him miss you! You are made up of flesh and bones, not superglue. You do not have to see your man every second of every day. A little bit of mystery is healthy – you do not have to carry your blackberry in your bosom so that you answer his every call within milliseconds.
6. Attitude is not always sexy. If you keep making him feel that whatever he does is not good enough, he will eventually leave (if he has any balls at all). Remember this: there is at least one woman out there who wishes she could be with your man.
7. Many women are still unmarried by 35 because they set their standards too high. Sorry, but there is no such thing as a loyal gentleman who will worship you, give you his undivided attention, buy you presents on every occasion (that he never forgets) while he runs his multi-million dollar corporation that got him his 6 houses, 2 boats, and expensive cars. Be realistic, no matter how much of a catch you think you are, there’s always someone better than you out there, so step down from your pedestal.
8. Work on your mistakes before you try to change your man. You are not doctor Phil, you do not have a PhD in Psychology, and no one is in the mood for your philosophizing.
9. If you cheat, just remember one thing: it doesn’t mean you don’t respect your man, it means you do not respect yourself. Good luck on being labeled as a skank.
10. No woman wants to be with a weak and stupid man. Any smart man will see right through a woman’s intentions, so make sure that your intentions towards him are not of a material, superficial, or selfish nature – not only is it a turn-off, but the only person you’ll be fooling is yourself.
Relationships are never easy, especially here in Lebanon where everyone has to act like they have a stick up their butt. We all need to chill a little; setting rules is an unnatural act that will only lead to killing the romance in any relationship. Instead, just enjoy it, do what YOU think is right instead of following the advice of the constipated society around you. Most importantly, keep it personal and magical!
By Rita Dahdah
“One woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure.” Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City)